Monday, November 16, 2009

Wildwood - Music Done Right

I probably played over 50 guitars in the six months since I decided I was going to have my dream guitar. My Martin is a fabulous instrument, but I found it difficult to play and uncomfortable in my hands. What I really wanted was a guitar that felt like an extension of my somewhat less than talented hands. My Ovation felt great to play, it was forgiving with just the right neck, but it could not produce the sound I was looking for.

Thus started my quest for a new guitar. I didn't much care what it cost, I would save up for it and wait as long as needed. I really just wanted to finally own a fine guitar that was just right for me.

Quality guitar shops in my area are getting few and far between. I would never purchase a guitar from the big boys, Guitar Center is too big and unfeeling. I wanted someone to sell me a guitar that was knowledgeable about the product, had some experience to share regarding finding the perfect guitar and if I had questions or a problem I wanted to be able to find that person and discuss it in person. Not some huge corporate behemoth that really didn't care about me or my purchase.

I visited all the guitar shops within a 60 mile radius, some stocked nice guitars others didn't have the first high end instrument on the wall. I already owned a Martin, those are not hard to find, I wanted something different in a smaller size. I researched all the brands meticulously and decided to try Breedlove, Taylor and Larrivee. I played many models of all three brands, only finding one that was close. A Breedlove OMM Revival.

One day while at a small store on the south side of Columbus, a store with NO high end guitars in stock, I asked where I might find a good selection of nice guitars. The helpful gentleman seemed apologetic, maybe even sad, but he explained that he could only stock what he could sell and that the high end models didn't move fast enough. He suggested that I visit Wildwood Music.

I immediately drove home and started researching this place, Wildwood Music. It had a bit of a mystique about it, apparently guitarists from miles around drive to this small town and visit the store. They indeed had a nice selection of Martins, Larrivee's and Taylors. We made plans to drive the 100 miles to the store the next weekend.

I compiled a list of models I wanted to try and was as prepared as I have ever been to get exactly what I wanted. I did bring the check book, just in case I found the perfect guitar but resolved to let it wait if there was any doubt. We were greeted by the owners of the store, Marty and Don. They were super friendly and knew just what questions to ask and Don listened intently as I described what I was looking for. There was an unhurried atmosphere, and I did not feel like I had to buy anything in order to get this priceless personal service.

We were there about three hours, I played a dozen guitars or more. As I tried one out, Don would come over with another and ask some more questions. It was almost like a personal assistant, trying to professionally guide the buying process. I enjoyed it immensely. What fun, getting my hands on all of these expensive, high quality guitars.

I kept coming back to a Larrivee OMV50 with a soft Venitian cut away and the perfect neck. The guitar was also beautiful with mother of pearl abalone inlay as the rosette and many more features like maple binding and a gorgeous Brazilian Mahogany. The top is Sitka spruce, actually from Sitka Alaska. I could go on forever, but the guitar is exactly what I had been searching for. However, I was not going to buy it that day.

Don mentioned that Larrivee is no longer going to produce the "10" series OM's, thus making the guitar I liked the best suddenly unavailable. With that knowledge I went ahead and bought the thing, put it in layaway and three weeks later went up and got it. I own it now and I must say it is a dream. The staff at Wildwood Music have got it right, I am sure what they do is very labor intensive, but the effect was that I bought a guitar and would happily recommend this store and this wonderful couple to anyone. They also sell banjo's and dulcimers. The store is in historic Old Roscoe Village near Coshocton.

If more music stores were like this one, I imagine fewer of them would be closing their doors. There is no substitute for great product AND great people.

Wildwood Music

No comments: