Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Lots of New Music - Music Review

About every two months or so I go on a music buying binge. I sit down over the course of a couple of evenings with Itunes and a credit card and seek out music that I have heard about and music that I just wish to explore. Usually, I have not actually listened to any of it, so I take the risk of getting a dog now and then, but there is a thrill purchasing music sight unseen (sound unheard?).

Recently I bought a bunch of new music. Most of it is good, some of it is exceptional. I decided to review my new albums on my blog, keeping with the tradition of Phresh's music review in the sidebar.

Everything that Happens, Happens Today - David Byrne and Brian Eno

Being a fan of both David Bryne (Talking Heads) and Brian Eno (Roxy Music), I thought this might be worth a listen. The album was also featured on NPR's "All Songs Considered". I am now on my 6th full listen and I am liking it more each time I play it.

The songs reflect David Byrne's quirky yet sophisticated pop sensibility with Brian Eno's genius for production and electronic vibe. The music does indeed have echoes of experimental music from Eno days gone by, but it is not all electronic, in fact, the electronic ambience is quite restrained.

This album is danceable and just a good jam, Bryne works out his signature vocals on several songs with that trademark crecendo. There is alot of good energy in this collection as well, perfect for driving, or a party, it sounds good with headphones.

On "Home" we enjoy interesting lyrics and a great pop melody, backed up with some guitars and a rhythem of industrial sounding loops, it works well. As the song plays, there is a familiarity, almost predictable, then Byrne sings an unexpected note at the last minute creating a very listenable and original sound.

The title track "Everything that Happens, Happens Today" stars with a melodic episode of up front piano and rich synths that lead to Byrne's vocals. The tune features David Byrnes signature lyrics, sung with very "Headesque" inflection.

The only Klinker in my opinion is "Poor Boy" which starts out a bit dischordant and tries to hard with experimental themes.

The album plays as a solid and contiguous work, very entertaining and an easy listen without being boring. I give it 4 out of 5, worth the money.

Go get a copy of "Everything that Happens, Happens Today" and enjoy.
Phresh~

No comments: