Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Little Cakes

I have managed, through sheer will power and the grace of God to triumphantly proclaim.."I have got little cakes out of my life". Back on Labor Day I decided I was way too fat and I should make an effort to get some foods completely out of my diet. At first the list was really long, it included some of my favorite things too. The items on my banned list included full flavor beer, Wendy's double cheese burgers, sausage Mc Muffins with Egg and big greasy breakfasts at 4AM. Little cakes were on my list too, I love little cakes. Vanilla Zingers, King Dons, and of course Little Debbie's.

Good old Little Debbie is a regional snack that comes in single serving packages for a quarter. There are a plethora of different flavors to enliven one's sweet tooth. Some of my favorite varieties included Swiss Rolls, pecan pie, the crispy Star Crunch, Nutty Bars, and my all time favorite, Zebra Cakes. A couple of Zebra cakes and a Coke made for a breakfast of champions. The little cake was always easy to find, easy to afford and easy to eat in the car. After a long week of driving, there would always be dozens of little cake wrappers on the floor board.

I understand that today, the single size has risen to $.35 instead of a quarter, but back in the day a buck bought desert for the whole family. An entire box of these treats still sells for under two dollars. Of course there is a reason I am fighting to lose weight today, years and years of Little Debbie cakes (and Zingers, and that weird banana flavored taco thing).

All of the other foods on my banned list found their way back into my diet, although I consume them far less frequently today, but the little cakes are gone. I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a Zebra Cake for breakfast (or lunch, or snack time). Someday when I have reached my target weight, and I am in "maintenance" I am looking forward to snagging a handful of delicious little cakes and having a nostalgic orgy of baked goodness.

I always knew Little Debbie was an evil trollop.

No comments: